How to Adopt
ADOPTING A FRIEND
The goal of The SPCA Serving Allegany County is to find good, loving homes for the animals in its care. The Shelter Manager and our staff would love to assist you in the selection of a pet.
It is recommended that in order to avoid disappointment, anyone seeking to adopt an animal seen on this web site should contact the shelter before leaving home to make certain the animal is still available. You can contact us either by e-mail (email@example.com) or by calling the shelter at 585-593-2200.or contact us via Facebook
All dogs and cats are spayed or neutered before they leave the shelter. The adoption fee for an adult dog 1yr - 7yrs old is $100.00, senior dogs - age 7+ are $50.00 and puppies are $150.00, which includes the spay or neuter and all required canine immunizations, wormer, microchip and flea treatment.
The adoption fee for an Adult Cat - over 1 year old is $50.00 which includes the spay or neuter, all required feline immunizations and testing for FeLV and FIV, plus wormer and flea treatment and microchip. The adoption fee for Kittens is $75.00.
In order to comply with New York State Agriculture and Market adoption laws, an additional deposit of $45.00 is required for puppies and kittens which have not been spayed or neutered before leaving the shelter. This deposit is refunded upon the Shelter Manager's receipt of the spay/neuter certification and license if a dog was adopted.
NOTE: All adoption fees include micro-chipping with a 1 year registration.
1. Once you have chosen an animal you will need to fill out an adoption application. You can download an application from our website and bring it with you or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you rent your home, you must provide a written statement with a phone number from the landlord or property owner allowing you to adopt the pet. Your application cannot be approved before receiving permission from a landlord.
2. Applications will be reviewed within 48 hours. If your application is approved a staff member will contact you to make further arrangements for adoption.
3. When adopting a dog please schedule an appointment for any dogs living in the household to come to the shelter and meet your prospective new pet. A successful meet and greet must be conducted before an application can be approved. Also plan to bring all other members of the household to meet the dog as well.
4. Please remember that submitting an application does not guarantee adoption and that the animal will continue to be available for adoption by others until your application has been approved.
5. We do not hold animals without an approved application
6. Animals under 6 months of age that have not been spayed or neutered are available for foster through our Foster-To-Adopt Program. After the animal has been spayed or neutered they will then be available for adoption.
7. If you are adopting a cat, a carrier will be required. If you do not have a carrier, you can purchase a cardboard one from the shelter.
8. All adoption fee’s may be paid with cash, check or credit card.
To start the adoption process, please fill out an Adoption Application at the shelter or download the form down below and submit it to the shelter by either dropping it off or fe-mail it to email@example.com
To ease the over-crowding in shelters, many rescues, humane groups and SPCA’s are finding help through Foster Homes. Since we are a no-kill shelter and a very small shelter, the SPCA Serving Allegany County has encountered the problem of being full with both cats & dogs a majority of the time. Although we work very hard to adopt each animal out as soon as possible, some animals require more time to find their special forever home. Through the use of Foster Homes these animals can prepare for adoption in a real home, rather than the hectic chaos of the shelter. Potential Foster dogs & cats may be older, have a treatable illness or training issues. If you have it in your heart to help a dog or cat like this, download our FOSTER HOME APPLICATION. When your Foster Dog or Cat is eventually adopted into a loving, permanent family you can take satisfaction in knowing you made a difference in that dog’s or cat's life and then you can save another life with your next foster pet. Contact the shelter for more information at 585-593-2200.